Pages

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Summer Sewing Big & Little

I needed some high waisted shorts to go with that 40s Fun-Shus blouse, so I threw this green denim pair together on Saturday. I used McCall's 8331 again.
I added a ribbon waistband using a fun lipstick print instead of a facing, and I hand picked the zipper. I think since the first several zips I sewed were hand picked, I just don't like the way a machine sewn zip looks most of the time. We all have our hang ups.
I also made the tank up from a thrifted tee. I did a little embroidery on top of the screen print just for fun.
It's been raining A LOT, and I didn't get any good pics, but you get the idea. 
I did some pattern work on the shorts after this to replace the darts with seams, and the next pair I make will have piping in the seams. I'd like to incorporate this piping, which I made by covering white store bought piping with white lace. I think it would look really pretty using contrasting colors of piping and lace too. I originally made this corded piping for my bridesmaid's dress, but didn't end up using it then. I did use some on an Itty Bitty project I whipped up the other night though.
My little bunny got a 24 hour stomach bug a few days back. She projectile vomited in the hall, and finished the day with a fever of 103.9. Yikes! As she slept a lot being sick, I took the opportunity to sew her a pretty dress to help her feel better. I used the Itty Bitty Toddler Dress Pattern from Made by Rae after seeing a sweet baby version on the blog Tilly and the Buttons. I seriously love sewing things while my daughter is sleeping and hanging them up in her room for her to find in the morning. She gets excited and always wants to wear them right away!


 Totally unrelated to anything- in counting some patterns for my Etsy shop recently, I discovered that, sadly, Simplicity 3315 was missing the dress pieces, and contained only the pattern for the coat.
Image courtesy of the Vintage Pattern Wiki
It is a size 14 1/2 or 35 inch bust, and anyone who would like to try sewing up the coat can have it. Leave me a comment with your email address, and I'll contact you to get your mailing address. Is it just me or does anyone else think this would make a particularly classy and glamorous raincoat? Search laminated cotton to find inspiration for some lovely rain wear. 

12 comments:

  1. What a lovely idea to sew something for your daughter and surprise her by hanging it in her room.
    I just became a mum and hope to be such a a fun and loving one as you clearly are. My daughter is only 8 months now, so she won't notice yet, but I'm definitely going to steel this idea from you in the future. Thank you!

    Susanne

    littlemaries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Susanne! I visited your blog, and saw you are already making amazing things for your little girl!

      Delete
  2. great shorts, the pattern is one I will have to look out for!

    www.littlethistles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know I have seen it around some. I did a quick look on eBay, and it is available in a bust 32 right now. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1960s-McCalls-pattern-8331-Sz-12-Bust-32-Beach-Dress-Bathing-Suit-/111066218595?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19dc100063

      Delete
  3. Darling shorts. I love the ribbon in the waistband. How did you learn to hand pick a zipper? Are there any helpful websites to show how to do this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There is a really great article from Threads on hand picking a zipper. http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/5135/a-hand-picked-zipper-is-worth-the-effort

      Delete
  4. I still love your shorts, and in green. ADORABLE!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlotte! Isn't apple green fun? Thrifted the fabric of course!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! I have been doing a lot of tank sewing this spring. It was a quick sew!

      Delete
  6. Hello stranger! What a sweet surprise for your (not so) little (anymore!!) lady! To wake up and find a beautiful dress you made for her while she was sleeping! She'll remember those things when she's grown up and has babies of her own!
    Cute shorts too. And I'm sooooo with you on the zipper front! Hand picked every time.
    Hugs!
    Px

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping at Farmhouse Garden! I love to hear from you...